The Salon article can be found here.The article is much better than mine, and I suggest you read it.
The article's overall summary is that "despite vows to increase transparency, the president has made the government ever more authoritarian and intrusive." How has Obama done this?
- Obama ordered the killing of an American citizen living abroad.
- Like Bush, Obama has the Justice Department create memos authorizing his actions without disclosing them or presenting it before Federal Court
- Has continued indefinite detentions at Guantanamo Bay
- Has authorized military to indefinitely detain a U.S. citizen anywhere in the world without due process
- Obama has expanded the telecommunication industry's spying on U.S. citizens including warrantless wiretapping.
- Granted legal immunity to telecom companies which supported Bush wiretapping. Obama voted for this bill to immunize the telecom companies.
- The NSA scours the internet for information on citizens
- Waging a war on whistleblowers, as can be seen by Bradley Manning's treatment.
- The Administration is blocking Freedom of Information Act requests.
- Failed as promised to make bills available to be viewed by the public for 48 hours before being signed into law.