Friday, July 8, 2011

MSNBC!

First off, before I write what I want to here, let me preface it with this disclaimer. I watch MSNBC and FOX news most of the time when getting my news from TV (My favorite news programs are Freedom Watch with Judge Napolitano and Stossel). I do not agree with 95% of what I hear from either network. I watch them because it interests me and helps me understand what the base liberals and base conservatives believe and are arguing. It is a peek into the political machine and what they want the masses to believe and where the want to shape the conversation towards. Just because I am about to rail on MSNBC does not mean I blindly follow and grovel to Fox 'n friends. Too often people make the mistake when I am making a rational argument to become defensive, and start attacking the typical position a person opposed to their ideas would follow (True Example: When I argued the debt ceiling created a great opportunity to take action to lower the national debt and make real change, my liberal friend defended saying "well, we need to cut defense spending too!!!, I agree with that, it was an assumption and wrong, and often done, it is a red herring/attack of character, it is a fallacious argument to make). With this disclaimer, let me say MSNBC tonight is ridiculous!

A new economic unemployment report came out, and the employment statistics are miserable! I believe only about 24k jobs were created. That is not even on pace with the growth in population. This is but another sign that the current governmental plan of Keynesian inspiration to restart the economy is failing. It failed for FDR and put us into the greatest recession this country has ever known, and Obama is looking to have the same mistake happen again (we must learn from history or we are bound to repeat it!). But that is neither here nor there, the point I want to make is MSNBC's response to this news.

There are a number of responses to this news, a news organization could talk about the plight of the unemployed, about businesses moving overseas (human stories and sensational stories), they could talk about the reasons behind why the unemployment is going up, whether they were to blame it on Bush (the cliche and in thing to do nowadays [sometimes rightful sometimes not]), or blame it on Obama, or simply make an economic argument between Keynesian and free-market economics. You could talk about the impact of this news on the upcoming Presidential contest, or its effect on the ongoing debate regarding the debt ceiling. All of the above are expected and educational (in different ways) ways for a news organization to present this information.

What did MSNBC do!? MSNBC spent their time on Chris Matthews and Last Word with O'Donnel talking about how the Republican Presidential Nominees all released statements that they were glad that unemployment is up! (their statements were blaming the dismal economic numbers on Obama). MSNBC argued that they are happy that it is down and that they benefit from it. Chris Matthews posed a question to Michael Steele (former RNC chairman) along the lines of "Is it right for the Republican Nominees to take joy in the plight of the poor and unemployed?" (Michael Steele by the way did a great job on the show standing up for what he believed in and not allowing the other people to push him over, admirable job Steele!)

What is ridiculous about this is that a) the Republicans are more likely to get elected if the economic indicators are bad, this is a political fact, and the Republicans are going to use it, as Democrats would in a similar position, and as I believe was used against Bush when the economy was sputtering. It is a political fact and to make it out into a story is a hypocritical lie and points fingers and highlights what is unimportant, it is a distraction from real problems our country faces! Second, they are obviously not glad people are suffering, but they believe the country will be better and more people will have jobs under their plan, or at a minimum want to offer an alternative plan then Obama's, which is a better sell when the shit is hitting the fan.

Give us real news damn it.

2nd disclaimer: I wrote this too quickly and just tried a new drink mix which did not work so may have affected my writing, it is called the FireMeister and it tastes terrible, it is too syrupy and strong. 1 part Jagermeister, 1 part Fireball Whiskey, splash of cola, ice. NOT GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment